Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hate Crime Bill and Free Speech

So I admit, I go to foxnews.com to get my news updates. Well, there was an article on there tonight that struck me as scary and a bit prophetic (if any of you remember me talking about certain bills getting passed that could make it illegal to be a Christian). Here is a link to that article.
The gist of it, homosexuality will be protected under a bill that is about Hate-Crime speech. In this new bill, it will be illegal to speak things that can be considered hate crimes. Did you catch that? It will be illegal to speak against homosexuality.
Where will this stop?
I had talked in the past to my former youth group about bills that were close to being passed that would make it illegal to display offensive material in public. We discussed how this could lead to making Christianity illegal (after all... a lot of the things that Christ stands for ... they're offensive to the world). Well, this isn't the same bill, but it's pretty close.
A quote from the article reads as such, "Social conservatives, including former President George W. Bush, have fought the legislation on the grounds it could be used to prosecute religious groups who say homosexuality is morally wrong."
With Democrats now controlling the White House and the House of Reps, its looking like the bill is now going to be passed. The House of Reps passed the bill on Wednesday with a vote of 249 to 175. All that needs to happen now (if I remember back to my History classes correctly) is Obama to sign the bill. His past remarks and background already speak about his approval of same sex marriages.
So I want to pose a question for anyone who reads this. Leave me your answers in a comment.
Q: If this bill gets passed, will you still (in the words of the article) "say that homosexuality is morally wrong"? How (if at all) will this change the way churches or individuals who proclaim Christ as their King speak about homosexuality?
A: leave it in the comments

Love God... Love people... Serve the world...
Jpack

p.s. I don't want anyone to think that I'm a homo-phobe or go around bashing homosexuality since this is my 2nd posting about the topic. It's just a topic that's huge right now in the news and in the media. For my views on homosexuality, look back to my first posting about Miss California's response.

No comments:

Post a Comment